Flap (definition)

From Scottish Gaelic Grammar Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

A flap is a sound made by extremely quick contact between the tip of the tongue against some place of articulation. In English, this is generally against the alveolar ridge. The flap is an allophone of English [t] and [d] in English; words like butter or ladder can be pronounced [lædɚ] or [læɾɚ] and [bʌtɚ] or [bʌɾɚ]. An alveolar flap is transcribed as [ɾ] in IPA.

See Also

External Links

The link below takes you away from the Gaelic Wiki to Wikipedia. Since wikipedia pages can be edited by anyone, they often contain inaccurate information. So be careful!


  • Matthews, P. H. (1997) The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Ladefoged, D. (2010) A Course in Phonetics. 6th Edition. Wadsworth Publishing.