A palatal sound is produced with the tongue touching or nearly touching the hard palate.
- palatal sounds of English are [ʧ,ʤ,ʃ,ʒ,j].
- palatal sounds of Gaelic are [tʲʰ,tʲ,kʲʰ,kʲ,ɲ,ʃ,ç,ʝ,lʲ,ɾʲ,j].
- Velar (definition)
- Glottal (definition)
- Alveolar (definition)
- Dental (definition)
- Labial (definition)
- Pharyngeal (definition)
- Place of Articulation (definition)
- Consonant (definition)
- Sounds of Scottish Gaelic
The link below takes you away from the Gaelic Wiki to Wikipedia. Since wikipedia pages can be edited by anyone, they often contain inaccurate information. So be careful!
- Crystal, David. (1997) A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
- Ladefoged, Peter (1993) A Course in Phonetics Third Edition. London: Harcourt Press.
- Matthews, P. H. (1997) The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.